Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Welcome home EJ!


That's right! After 20 years of living in Chicago (9yrs) & LA (11yrs) I have moved back to my hometown of NYC! Queens to be exact! I grew up in Hollis Hills & now live in Kew Gardens with my boyfriend Howie. I met Howie at Queens College about 27 years ago where we were just casual friends. On my vacation last summer to NYC we reconnected. Both of us were still single & yes we're normal!

What ended up becoming our first date took place at Live Bait , 14 East 23rd Street in the Flatiron District. It's a divey, southern, seafood joint with a cool bar, booths & a great jukebox! Over a couple of Brooklyn Lagers from the tap & some raw blue point oysters & clams & a few hush puppies (also known as cornbread balls) we realized we both loved food, had similar views on the world & realized how cool we both were & never knew it. The oysters & clams weren't the best we ever tasted (hama hamas, kumomotos & belons anyone!). I've definitely had better balls in my lifetime but the tunes & Howie were awesome.

So, what is this blog about you might be asking yourself? Well, the title kind of says it all. Being back in NY & walking through the streets I am amazed at how many restaurants there are! How can they all stay in business? Literally in Manhattan there are as many as like 8-10 on one city block! I'm not talking about take out delis & Starbucks. They have those too. Like 8 sit down restaurants on one block! Tons of adorable cafes, bistros, fancy & not so fancy places to dine! Each borough (Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, The Bronx &Staten Island) loaded with a wide array of ethnic & trendy eateries. Can a couple with limited funds eat at every single establishment & then can I, EJ, give my take, good or bad, with a little edge & humor & maybe some guerilla video footage? Probably not but I'm gonna have a lot of fun trying. I will figure out what my parameters will be (ie: has to be a joint with table service, only Zagat rated, will I go once a week, will i always go with Howie or mix it up, etc...) in the coming days. I hope you will tune in.
ej eats

4 comments:

  1. Love this blog - and your friends ALWAYS knew how cool you both were. Good luck on this new endeavor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you are writing about food. It's about time. Now, I'm waiting for you to have your own cooking show. Have fun and I'll be reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. claudia is right! EJ - apply to be on the Food Network's Next Star show!! Maybe I can get in on one of your eating trips??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck. Keep me posted! Aaron Freeman says hi.
    your cuz

    ReplyDelete